[Arm-netbook] proyect easy pc

lkcl luke luke.leighton at gmail.com
Fri Mar 23 20:19:41 GMT 2012

On Fri, Mar 23, 2012 at 7:44 PM, hugo meneses <hugalactico at hotmail.com> wrote:

> Hi guys
>
> I will try to resume my project goals, what i have done until now and what
> can of help i am looking for...:)

 ok.  that works.

> the main problem is that now the solution companies make a very big profit
> on the design of the mainboard and sell the cpu, if we just do like this the
> small computer we want to make will be expensive for the less developed
> countries market. Also these companies are really relax about the quality
> and you will find the software they make whit a lot of bugs and almost zero
> support, also some very odd design choices(extrange conectors, things no
> standar).

 :)

> After i see the website about your proyect, the people involved and the bom
> cost i think is better try to work whit you than whit the solution companies
> here.

 that's good to hear

> What we want to produce is a small , cheap and power efficient arm machine
> that can connect to a standar tv set or vga computer screen because in
> southamerican countries these are cheap and easy to find second hand, also
> if you import it like one computer you do not need to pay tax. The machine
> also must support android system(easy to find educational software and
> games), flash player (for online games and video), linux as option, must
> have LAN port and also wifi (when you buy internet access the router is
> free, also the wifi board only add 2 usd ), at least have 2 usb ports,
> optional support for usb gamepads and webcams.

 ok, let me record this on the wiki.
http://rhombus-tech.net/community_ideas/educational_and_games_mc/

 ok, so the specification for the I/O board is going to be:

 * 4-port usb hub
 * usb jumper to a wifi module
 * 24-pin RGB/TTL to VGA converter

 btw i strongly advise *against* connecting to a "standard" tv set.
analog tuners are f******g expensive, you can never get them pre-tuned
to a particular country, each country has different standards, each
*area* in a country has a different frequency, and the quality is
absolutely dreadful anyway (interlaced).

> Also need to find the support of the open source comunity for write some
> educational software and games.

 there are... a ton of games out there :)  and a wealth of educational
software, too.  it just depends what sort: it might be possible to
find some existing software quite easily, if you can be more specific.

>  I already have some money for start the project, logistic in shenzhen,
> experience dealing whit chinese suppliers and factories, 3 shops in shenzhen
> electronics market and overseas customers for distribute in South america
> and south asia.

 great!

> Even the main idea is to help spread computers to less developed countries
> also the idea is make some profit but as you know the profits we make in
> chine are really small :)

 yerrs....

> I am ready to listen your ideas about how we can cooperate, can be a
> partnership, sponsorship or whatever way we see suitable, i am ready to
> start as fast as we ultimate details.

 great!

 ok.  the primary cost is, bizarrely, going to be the casework. do you
know anyone who can do cases at reasonable cost?  (like... not
$50,000+)