[Arm-netbook] Framebuffer support - Mele A1000

David Given dg at cowlark.com
Fri Mar 23 11:37:01 GMT 2012

Simon Kenyon wrote:
[...]
> i have been "playing" with the android installation of the mele
> not being able to read chinese i started to delete apps
> in my enthusiasm i deleted the launcher
> i have recovered and installed another one.

Incidentally:

Android is very hard to brick. I don't know what the vendor's done here,
but the standard Android setup can be forced to boot into either a
recovery partition containing various tools for fixing your system, or
if all else fails the boot loader itself can reflash your system. Both
of these are accessible via USB.

So if you make the main OS unbootable, you can boot to the recovery
partition and tinker with the files; and if somehow you make *that*
unbootable you can reboot into fastboot mode and replace the OS image
entirely.

Naturally, in order to do this you need to know the magic undocumented
incantations to reboot into recovery or fastboot mode. Normally this is
done by starting the phone up with various keys held down. And it
requires a USB slave connection, which this device may not have.

(If you've got adb access, you can do 'adb reboot recovery' or 'adb
reboot-bootloader'. But of course that's not useful in emergencies.)

This approach might make a useful alternative approach to hacking the
device while reducing the risk of completely destroying it, and without
needing hardware modifications.

[...]
> anyway, it is time to stop playing and i want to build AOSP for the
> device. i will build an SD card, but was wondering where to go from
> there? has anyone any advice as to how to build a root filesystem?

Try the CyanogenMod people. They build AOSP-based ROMs for dozens of
different devices.

│ "Parents let children ride bicycles on the street. But parents do not
│ allow children to hear vulgar words. Therefore we can deduce that
│ cursing is more dangerous than being hit by a car." --- Scott Adams