[Arm-netbook] Hacking the Mele A1000 - ultra beginner guide

julien at forgeat.name julien at forgeat.name
Thu Mar 22 03:47:04 GMT 2012

Dear All,

Lots of valuable answers there, let's wrap up on the UART port:
  - Important notice: 2.54mm connectors do not fit in the port, there is
a good chance that 2mm connectors fit though (Thanks Alejandro)
  - What is required is a USB TTL Serial/UART 3.3V cable (or board).
This can be obtained in either of the following ways:
    - get a board that does Serial to USB conversion @ 3.3V, most of the
boards I looked up both worked with 5V and 3.3V
    - get a Nokia (old) data cable [1] which is basically the same thing
but might only work @3.3V and requires a little more work to connect to
the UART. (Thanks Oliver, A1bert and Henrik)

I went for the first option and ordered a board [2] and a 2.54mm to 2mm
cables [3] (could not find a shop having both :-( )

Julien

[1]
http://www.dealextreme.com/p/usb-cable-for-nokia-n1200-1208-1650-2630-2670-13638
[2] http://detail.tmall.com/item.htm?id=12750141688