[Arm-netbook] Hacking the Mele A1000 - ultra beginner guide

julien at forgeat.name julien at forgeat.name
Wed Mar 21 14:23:31 GMT 2012

Hi All!

I am starting this thread because I have just purchased a Mele A1000
and would like to install GNU/Linux distributions on it but need some
help.

My main sources of support for now are
  - http://rhombus-tech.net/allwinner_a10/hacking_the_mele_a1000/
  - Tom whom I do not wish to flood with email, especially when I feel
this could be useful for others

I am very inexperienced in hacking ARM devices but the Mele looks
reasonably easy so I would like to do it with some help and in return,
write an *ultra beginner guide* for it.

So let's see if this will fly, I am blocked at the very beginning: an
UART to serial, or as I understand, UART to serial to USB cable is
required, is this what I should purchase?
  -
http://detail.tmall.com/item.htm?id=13235232319&prt=1332338469175&prc=1
Same question to connect the internal USB to external computer, except
that for this one, I do not even have a link as I have no idea how it is
called.

Last, if anyone is willing to play or see the box in Beijing, please
contact me

Cheers,

Julien