[Arm-netbook] Fwd: Auto-discard notification

lkcl luke luke.leighton at gmail.com
Thu Mar 1 18:51:24 GMT 2012

arokux, hi, thanks for the encouragement and the suggestions.  please
do consider subscribing and also join #arm-netbook on
irc.freenode.net.  i've updated the orders page.

yes, this is effectively a "meta-" project so we're not tied to one
particular processor: we're reaching out to all and any SoC vendors
who happen to have a decent price/performance ratio for SoCs that have
ethernet, SATA, HDMI etc.

it's a pity that the (credit-card-sized) raspberry pi is not
conformant to the (credit-card-sized) EOMA-68 initiative.  the
raspberry pi developers also tried some bullying tactics on their
forums when people began talking about the rhombus tech idea.

also, several free software people have noted that the chosen CPU is
actually powered by its proprietary GPU, and that broadcom haven't
released the source code for the GPU.  including for the boot
sequence.  so the entire project which is supposed to be "educational"
is entirely at the mercy of broadcom's proprietary licensing and
whims.

unfortunately they appear to be successfully pulling the wool over
everyone's eyes.

anyway - by defining a standard we don't actually care what SoC is in
the product(s).  and the products actually get massively simplified,
down to a 4-layer or with care even a 2-layer board.  even i could
knock up an I/O board for a product, using KiCAD :)

ok, rrright.  so.  would you like to write the "get involved" page? :)

let me just create a stub...