[Arm-netbook] Mele box group on counting

Alejandro Martínez zen at itram.es
Thu Mar 1 13:19:22 GMT 2012

On Thu, Mar 1, 2012 at 1:55 PM, Oliver Kiddle <okiddle at yahoo.co.uk> wrote:

> I've been following the discussion here but I'm no hardware expert. To get Debian on it would I need to solder onto the internal UART?

I believe the internal UART and USBs have a socket on them, so not
much soldering required. The USB is a gadget USB so you can use ADB to
alter/upload files. But probably booting from the SD you don't need to
use the USB.

UART is only required for the serial console. If we get framebuffer
console working there's not much need for it.

> Is there any sort of open source support for the hardware video decoding - if that's related to the GPU then I can't find any mention on limadriver.org? Does the A10 support hard float and Debian armhf?

I don't know the exact answers to those questions. But I believe
everything we need is on the Android and the kernel sources.

>Does the Mele box just boot from the SD card such that there's no danger of bricking it?

The bootloader it will skip internal NAND and go to the SD with the
scripts that Tom made us. If we get the firmware image it has a FEL
fallback mode that you can *always* flash on using Windows + Livesuit
through USB.

> What is the processor clock speed? Deal extreme states ARM CortexA8 1GHz but if it is A10 based then from the rhombus-tech wiki, it would be 1.5GHz.

If I'm not wrong, on my tablet it is 1ghz.

> I don't suppose anyone has any experience with using USB DVB-S2 tuners on ARM or Linux in general?

The x86 drivers might just work... but not sure about that.

---
Alejandro Martínez