[Arm-netbook] Want a low-cost dual-core cortex-a9 soc? Here comes rockchip rk30

lkcl luke luke.leighton at gmail.com
Thu Mar 1 10:44:14 GMT 2012

On Thu, Mar 1, 2012 at 10:27 AM, Tom Cubie <mr.hipboi at gmail.com> wrote:

> our competitor is always before us. We know that so when our A9 chips
> come out, we must be better, or we will lose.

 it's a race.  one where the number of players are increasing, but the
time to make a SoC does not decrease - it cannot - and also there is
competition for access to the Fab Houses.

 each successful company therefore has a limited window of opportunity
to sell - they will burn as brightly as a supernova and then the next
SoC will come along and people will drop them like a stone.

 this is the strategy why we have created EOMA, so that each new SoC
can be a drop-in replacement, with very very little development time.

 but we had to pick _some_ interfaces, it includes SATA and Ethernet
which are not normally part of "tablets" for example at the low-end,
so there will always be a little bit more cost.

 the question is: is being faster to market more important than being
cheapest to market?