[Arm-netbook] Any ARM SoC has Open-Source access to hardware video decoder ?

Alexey Eromenko al4321 at gmail.com
Tue Jun 26 10:55:00 BST 2012

On Tue, Jun 26, 2012 at 12:30 PM, Henrik Nordström
<henrik at henriknordstrom.net> wrote:
> tis 2012-06-26 klockan 11:16 +0200 skrev Enrico:
>
>> hehe, "where compliance with copyright, trademarks and patents are
>> pretty meaningless"
>>
>> and
>>
>> "strategy to leverage proper (and ultimately full) GPL compliance out
>> of PRC SoC vendors."
>>
>> If you are ok with the first you cannot ask for GPL compliance ;)

Well... there are two basic motivations in the world:
the carrot and the stick.

Since the stick (GPL copyright) is ineffective in China, we can offer
a carrot instead.

(explain them that desktop Linux market has over 15,000,000 PCs
world-wide, and explain them, that if they comply with GPL they could
take part of it... several percent)
Just 2% of this Linux market would equal to 300,000 sales for Chinese.
(which may or may not be enough to justify the costs of drivers
development... but I hope it is enough)

--
-Alexey Eromenko "Technologov"