[Arm-netbook] Sorry state of Linux hardware video decoder libraries / lack of single API

Henrik Nordström henrik at henriknordstrom.net
Mon Jun 25 23:18:28 BST 2012

mån 2012-06-25 klockan 20:33 +0600 skrev Roman Mamedov:

> We don't have Xv support on most/all ARM SoCs, in fact from what I see many of
> them are even limited to using the fbdev driver while in X11. And without Xv,
> even SD videos will play like a slideshow, because a lot of basic things like
> scaling have to be done in software.

If I am not completely mistaken the A10 disp engine do have a quite
powerful scaler with open source kernel driver. But not much
documentation and certainly no X11 driver making use of it.

There is alco fancy 2D acceleration unit (G2D) currently sitting unused,
also with all open source kernel driver.

Regards
Henrik