[Arm-netbook] Mele A1000 defective memory and related

Henrik Nordström henrik at henriknordstrom.net
Mon Jun 25 22:58:31 BST 2012

mån 2012-06-25 klockan 22:48 +0200 skrev Valery Yundin:

> I wonder if anyone had similar problems. Also I've spotted a few DRAM
> related options in script.fex[bin], does anybody know what they mean? Can I
> reduce ram clocking or increase latencies to make it more stable? Is there
> any chance it would it help or it is just defective chip?

If using the allwinner bootloaders (boot0/boot1/boot.axf) then yes.

With u-boot-mmc all memory parameters is currently hardcoded however and
script.bin is ignored. Working on fixing that..

> Another related question. Why we use only the first 448M out of 512?
> Is it reserved for GPU? Would it be possible to utilize it if I'm running
> a headless box and do not need graphics?

There is reserved areas for

  MALI
  Framebuffer
  VPU
  G2D
  GPS

But all can be reclaimed.

All except the MALI reservation can be reclaimed by disabling their
support in the kernel config. Reclaiming the MALI reservation requires
removing the DRAM mapping hack currently in place in the kernel source.

Regards
Henrik