[Arm-netbook] Fedora 17 ARM

Chris Tyler chris at tylers.info
Thu Jun 21 22:15:12 BST 2012

On Thu, 2012-06-21 at 16:29 -0400, Scott Sullivan wrote:
> On 06/21/2012 04:04 PM, Henrik Nordström wrote:
> > Please note that the Fedora License do not allow distributing a Fedora
> > image with custom kernel or other custom modifications. Any sudo
> > distribtions MUST be rebranded by at least removing the fedora-logos
> > package and substituting something else (there is a generic-logos
> > package, but it's no fun).
>
> Henrik,
>
> I'd actually had a conversation with some of the Fedora Devs about
> spinning a image. I got the general consensus that this would qualify
> for Remix status and not require full de-branding.
>
> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Remix

That's not quite right - a Remix *does* require debranding, but you may
use the Remix "Secondary Mark" instead (see the mention of the trademark
guidelines on the page linked above).

* Remix: can include non-Fedora packages, even non-open-source packages;
can use the Secondary mark; must not use the Fedora trademark; does not
require any approvals.

* Spin: includes only Fedora packages; uses the Fedora trademark;
requires approval from the Spins SIG.

At a basic level, debranding is pretty easy: just remove the
fedora-{logos,release,release-notes} packages and replace them with
something appropriate to your Remix. Alternately, get the pieces you
need into Fedora itself (which is straightforward if the licenses are
OSI-approved) and then (optionally) make a Spin. We'd love to have A10
support in the main Fedora ARM kernel package :-)

-Chris