[Arm-netbook] running allwinner-a10-video on mele causes kernel panic

Iain Bullard iain.bullard at gmail.com
Sat Jun 9 21:14:13 BST 2012

I'll move this into a bug report on github, filed against the kernel I
think - that is unless someone says otherwise.

After looking into this a bit more, I suspect that the corruption is caused
when the ve application mmaps the /dev/cedar_dev device.

When the /dev/cerdar_dev device is mmap-ed the offset specified is briefly
checked and manipulated before being passed to remap_pfn_range as the
physical kernel address to start mapping onto.

as remap_pfn_range makes the kernel memory accessible to the user space
application that called mmap this seems like a fairly likely place for a
user space application to be able to inadvertently corrupt kernel memory.

I don't yet fully understand the manipulation being performed on the offset

  temp_pfn = (__pa(vma->vm_pgoff << 12))>>12;

before it is passed into remap_pfn_range

remap_pfn_range(vma, vma->vm_start, temp_pfn, vma->vm_end - vma->vm_start,
vma->vm_page_prot)

currently I suspect that its also a security vulnerability.

Iain.