[Arm-netbook] running allwinner-a10-video on mele causes kernel panic

Iain Bullard iain.bullard at gmail.com
Sat Jun 9 16:49:42 BST 2012

Hi All,

I've built the kernel (allwinner-v3.0-android-v2) and installed it using
the instructions for building a debian root fs (
http://rhombus-tech.net/allwinner_a10/hacking_the_mele_a1000/Building_Debian_From_Source_Code_for_Mele/
).

I've then gone through and compiled the code from the allwinner-a10-video
https://github.com/amery/allwinner-a10-video repository and converted a
video to be in a pmp container for testing. While it does work to a certain
extent, frames are decoded and displayed most of the time (though they're
displayed too quickly). The library also prints a lot of debugging messages
to the console. Running the 've' command multiple times will cause a kernel
oops followed by other oopses and then eventually a panic.

Note: I'm using the a10_video_decode/libvecoredemo_linux_A10
& libvecoredemo_linux_A10_with_display sample code.

The kernel panics looks like memory corruption to me, I've been digging
about trying to see what causes it, though not found anything yet. For
reference, with the same media file (though not in pmp format) the
"CedarXPlayerTest-1.4.1" binary from the ubuntu image does not cause a
panic and will play nicely (no stuttering etc).

Based on this I think that

a) libvecore.a is probably not going to be useful in its current state (or
at least in the state that is available publicly)

b) there seems to be a problem with the cedar_dev device driver, in that it
is possible to corrupt kernel memory and crash the system.

Here are some sample Oops messages, they're different each time.

http://pastebin.com/CXazJtxQ

http://pastebin.com/6ec5cymG

This is more of an FYI and to see if anyone knows where to look next with
regards to resolving the kernel oops/panic.

Iain.