[Arm-netbook] Rpi vs cortexA8

Gordan Bobic gordan at bobich.net
Sun Jun 3 11:29:45 BST 2012

On 06/03/2012 11:17 AM, Tsvetan Usunov, OLIMEX LTD wrote:
>> http://www.engadget.com/2012/06/01/raspberry-pi-impressions-the-35-linux-computer-and-tinker-toy/
>>
>> "And, in case there was any doubt in your mind about how painful just
>> web browsing could be on this thing, we ran SunSpider (which also
>> pinned the CPU) and got a score of 44,230. By comparison, our OG Droid
>> (which is clocked at just 550MHz, but has the advantage of being a
>> Cortex A8 chip) pulled a 11,188."
>
> so ARM11 @700Mhz is 4 times slower than Cortex-A8 @ 550Mhz?
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_ARM_microprocessor_cores
>
> says 965 DMIPS @ 772 MHz for ARM1176 and 2.0 DMIPS/MHz for Cortex A8, so
> Cortex A8 @ 550 should give 1100 DMIPS or about 15% faster

Hmm... As another point of reference, at CPU bound compile tasks, I've
found 1GHz Tegra2 (ARMv7 Cortex A9) to be about 3-3.5x faster than a
1.2GHz Kirkwood (ARMv5). So about 2x clock for clock.

I would have expected ARMv6 to be somewhere inbetween, bearing in mind
that Kirkwood is one of the fastest ARMv5s.

Gordan