[Arm-netbook] Allwinner git / GPL stalemate situation

Tom Cubie mr.hipboi at gmail.com
Fri Jun 1 13:25:21 BST 2012

On Fri, Jun 1, 2012 at 7:03 PM, Tsvetan Usunov, OLIMEX LTD <
usunov at olimex.com> wrote:

> Olimex will be granted to access to Allwinner development git repositories
> if we sign NDA which do not allow us to share the sources with 3rd parties.
>
> Now we are in stalemate situation if we want to develop the Linux support
> for A10-A13-OLinuXino we have to use the information on these repositories
> as the other documentation is incomplete, we spoted lot of errors on it
> (but
> we have been warned that there are errors anyway) and only these sources
> guarantee that we will not lose time while development, in other hand
> signing this NDA will make us GPL violator as we will not be able to
> release
> the BSP sources.
>
> Any ideas? We are so smallish customer that we can't influence
> Allwinner/Wits on GPL at all. If we do not sign, they just do not allow us
> access and we are free to go somewhere else :-)

My advice is not develop the A13 kernel based what we already have. The
kernel
Qware released already contains the sun5i support. At the early stage of
sun5i
kernel development in Allwinner, sun4i and sun5i are in the same tree. Then
one
day, the market says no, we will not release the sun5i source code to our
customers. Then sun5i is moved to a different branch.
Via 8850 is out, which is a competitor of A13 and A10. pricing between A13
and A10,
If you still limit the performance of A13 by not releasing the source code,
then nobody
will choose A13. So i think source code releasing a matter of time.

> Tsvetan

Keep simple, stay foolish.