[Arm-netbook] Good netbook based on Cortex-A9

Gordan Bobic gordan at bobich.net
Tue Jul 31 11:55:14 BST 2012

On 07/31/2012 02:29 AM, Derek LaHousse wrote:
> So we'll take a phone-sized card, and put it in a phone-sized carrier so
> we can plug a bunch of cords into a lapdock.  Can we also then dock said
> lapdock into a desktop dock, to have my desktop?

I think the idea is to take the box and plug it into a desktop dock
directly. :)

> Do note, though, that you're not using most of the EOMA headers, now.
> Ethernet?  Not to a lapdock.
> Wifi?  From the lapdock over USB?
> USB?  Yes, to the lapdock hub.
> SATA?  No.
> RGB?  I expect you're using the mini-hdma from the non-standard side
> I2C?  No.

I was sort of envisaging a 2.5" box that can take a PCMCIA (EOMA) card,
has a built in 2.5" SATA slot (proper quick release tray style), and has
an ethernet port on it. Add a couple of USB ports and you also have
everything you need for a desktop replacement box.

> And this contraption will be a frankenputer.  I want one, but I can't
> see my wife, mother, or Apple-loving friends getting one.

I don't really see the problem. You'd end up with something about 1/3 of
the size of a SheevaPlug (same profile, 1/3 of thickness) that you can
plug both into a lapdock or hook up straight to a big monitor/keyboard
for a desktop setup.

Sure, it won't look like a polished appliance, but that is unavoidable
when you want a single small box that is multi-purposed.

Gordan