[Arm-netbook] Good netbook based on Cortex-A9

Gordan Bobic gordan at bobich.net
Mon Jul 30 01:26:49 BST 2012

On 30/07/2012 00:20, Wojciech Meyer wrote:
> Hi list,
>
> I'm trying to find a nice netbook based on ARM. I've been trying to
> google, but without much luck - apart from finding this mailing list.
>
> Seems like AC100 has been discontinued and the other propositions are
> mainly from the far east in bigger quantities.
>
> I would like to run GNU/Linux distro on it but perhaps not Android.
>
> Any advices?
>
> Thanks a lot!

AC100 is the way forward, if they are cheap in your country. In UK they
go for £170 new (old stock) and £110 used for the model with the 3G
modem (AC100-10U), about £10 less for the one without (AC100-10Z).

The process for installing a full Linux distro on them is very well
documented, and they are reasonably upgradable, too. Have a look here on
info on upgrading to a decent SSD, higher resolution screen, cooling mod
to enable overclocking from 1GHz to 1.4GHz, etc.

http://www.altechnative.net/tag/ac100/

The AC100 is way ahead of the competition on both price and performance.

For similar money you can get the Genesi Efika MX Smartbook, but that is
nowhere near competitive in terms of spec and value. It is nevertheless
reasonably usable with a screen upgrade:
http://www.altechnative.net/2011/05/16/genesi-efika-smartbook-screen-upgrade/

and a software hack to work around it's completely unusable mouse pad:
http://www.altechnative.net/2011/06/07/genesi-efika-mx-smartbooks-0-button-mouse/

Most other options are either lower spec, more expensive, or just plain
unavailable.

HTH.

Gordan