[Arm-netbook] ARM port(s) BoF at DebConf

lkcl luke luke.leighton at gmail.com
Thu Jul 26 19:26:11 BST 2012

On Thu, Jul 26, 2012 at 7:06 PM, Scott Sullivan <scott at ss.org> wrote:
> On 07/25/2012 05:19 PM, freebirds at fastmail.fm wrote:
>> On Wed, Jul 25, 2012, at 02:02 PM, Derek LaHousse wrote:
>>> Even if they don't have TrustZone, they are still a Lambda Calculus
>>> machine with a Von Newmann architecture.  I hear you can run code as
>>> root on those, and code running as root can do ANYTHING!
>>
>> Does this also apply to sheevaplugs?
>>

> It does, but only because it's a really bad joke that plays on
> ignorance. Much like making statements about how toxic Dihydrogen
> Monoxidea and getting people scared. Then have a laugh at their expense
> as you reveal it's the chemical name for water. A classic of this
> example is http://www.dhmo.org/
>
> To breakdown the above,
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lambda_calculus
>
> Mathematical Logic
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Von_Neumann_architecture
>
> The theoretical structure of a computing device, meaning the standard by
> which computer implementations are judged for completeness.
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Root_user
>
> Root, the sysadmin user in Unix and Unix-like (ei, Linux) operating
> systems. Which would by it's function have full control of the system.
>
> TL;DR, Derek is being an ass.

 ah.  thank you for reminding me.  derek: i've had enough experiences
of intolerant behaviour from free software people who ought to know
better to know where you're going with the "joke" you made.  i'm not
going to tolerate bullying disguised as "witty sarcasm" on this list.
you respect other peoples' chosen path, even if it makes no sense *to
you*, or you're out.  are we clear?