[Arm-netbook] ARM port(s) BoF at DebConf

Scott Sullivan scott at ss.org
Thu Jul 26 19:06:44 BST 2012

On 07/25/2012 05:19 PM, freebirds at fastmail.fm wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 25, 2012, at 02:02 PM, Derek LaHousse wrote:
>> Even if they don't have TrustZone, they are still a Lambda Calculus
>> machine with a Von Newmann architecture.  I hear you can run code as
>> root on those, and code running as root can do ANYTHING!
>
> Does this also apply to sheevaplugs?

It does, but only because it's a really bad joke that plays on
ignorance. Much like making statements about how toxic Dihydrogen
Monoxidea and getting people scared. Then have a laugh at their expense
as you reveal it's the chemical name for water. A classic of this
example is http://www.dhmo.org/

To breakdown the above,

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lambda_calculus

Mathematical Logic

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Von_Neumann_architecture

The theoretical structure of a computing device, meaning the standard by
which computer implementations are judged for completeness.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Root_user

Root, the sysadmin user in Unix and Unix-like (ei, Linux) operating
systems. Which would by it's function have full control of the system.

TL;DR, Derek is being an ass.

--
Scott Sullivan