[Arm-netbook] ARM port(s) BoF at DebConf

Dr. David Alan Gilbert dave at treblig.org
Fri Jul 20 23:28:32 BST 2012

* Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton (lkcl at lkcl.net) wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 20, 2012 at 12:54 AM, Hideki Yamane <henrich at debian.or.jp> wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > On Thu, 19 Jul 2012 18:35:44 +0100
> > Steve McIntyre <steve at einval.com> wrote:
> >> buildds
> >> =======
> >>
> >> Both armel and armhf are doing well, covering ~96% of the archive. We
> >> don't have any ARM server hardware yet, so we're stuck using
> >> development boards as build machines. They work, but they're a PITA
> >> for hosting and they're not designed for 24x7 usage like we're doing
> >> so they're not that reliable.
> >
> >  As I've posted during DebConf(*), Maybe OpenBlocks can solve this problem.
> >  It has 2GB RAM, reliable production use and we can buy it NOW.
> >
> >  *) http://lists.debian.org/debian-arm/2012/07/msg00007.html
>
>  hideki, those look superb.  summarising (in case anyone's missed it):
> they're armv7 compatible because they're using a marvell xp processor;
> they're up to dual-core 1.4ghz and the company openblocks can do them
> with up to 3gb of RAM, and i gather the openblocks boxes have a mini
> pci-e port as well as gigabit ethernet.

ftp://ftp.plathome.co.jp/pub/OBSAX3/Documents/OBSA_UsersGuide_1.0.0.pdf

seems to be the (Japanese) user guide for it.  Now, erm I don't know
any Japanese at all, but there are lots of very pretty diagrams in there.
But the picture on 4/24, and table 1.4 on section 6/24
shows the OBSAX3/4/x with an Armada XP, 1.33GHz dual core,
1GB SDRAM, a SODIMM that takes 1 or 2GB (more??), SATA2, Mini PCIe,
4 (!!!!) GigE, eSATA, 2xUSB2, and 2xRS-232C.

Very nice!  Pity it says available in japan only.

>  i'm including arm-netbooks because there may almost certainly be
> people on that list who would be interested in a group buy.  there has
> been quite a bit of interest in getting hold of modular computing
> devices for rack-mounted server usage.

Dave
/ Dr. David Alan Gilbert    |       Running GNU/Linux       | Happy  \
\ gro.gilbert @ treblig.org |                               | In Hex /