[Arm-netbook] ARM port(s) BoF at DebConf

Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton lkcl at lkcl.net
Fri Jul 20 21:27:43 BST 2012

On Fri, Jul 20, 2012 at 12:54 AM, Hideki Yamane <henrich at debian.or.jp> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Thu, 19 Jul 2012 18:35:44 +0100
> Steve McIntyre <steve at einval.com> wrote:
>> buildds
>> =======
>>
>> Both armel and armhf are doing well, covering ~96% of the archive. We
>> don't have any ARM server hardware yet, so we're stuck using
>> development boards as build machines. They work, but they're a PITA
>> for hosting and they're not designed for 24x7 usage like we're doing
>> so they're not that reliable.
>
>  As I've posted during DebConf(*), Maybe OpenBlocks can solve this problem.
>  It has 2GB RAM, reliable production use and we can buy it NOW.
>
>  *) http://lists.debian.org/debian-arm/2012/07/msg00007.html

 hideki, those look superb.  summarising (in case anyone's missed it):
they're armv7 compatible because they're using a marvell xp processor;
they're up to dual-core 1.4ghz and the company openblocks can do them
with up to 3gb of RAM, and i gather the openblocks boxes have a mini
pci-e port as well as gigabit ethernet.

 i'm including arm-netbooks because there may almost certainly be
people on that list who would be interested in a group buy.  there has
been quite a bit of interest in getting hold of modular computing
devices for rack-mounted server usage.