[Arm-netbook] Fwd: Exynos4412 Quad Core Board

Dr. David Alan Gilbert dave at treblig.org
Sat Jul 14 17:13:51 BST 2012

* lkcl luke (luke.leighton at gmail.com) wrote:
> On Sat, Jul 14, 2012 at 2:00 PM, Dr. David Alan Gilbert
> <dave at treblig.org> wrote:
> > * lkcl luke (luke.leighton at gmail.com) wrote:
> >> wow.  i'm deeply impressed by the specs and pricing on this.  and these
> >> guys have their heads together on the whole "modular" thing.  freebirds:
> >> note the lack of wifi etc. on the main cpu module.  also from what i
> >> understand of at least the precursors to this CPU (the S5PC110) there's an
> >> e-fuse which you can blow and the on-board boot flash is permanently
> >> disabled, making the only boot option being from external media.
> >
> > The little module that they use looks nice; I wonder whether an EOMA-68 carrier
> > board for their 4412 module would work - would it be too thick?
>
>  yyyeeeeh, i thought about that.  it's _really_ tight.

I wonder what the wart in the corner of the board is  - it looks like
the highest component, almost looks like a retention battery.

> > It still lacks native ether and SATA
>
>  yes, but there's at least 2 USBs.  there's a jmicro USB-to-SATA part
> that's reasonably low-cost.

Yeh, that's still going to suck compared to native SATA, still might
be worth a go.

> > (does anyone know what else is on the 'EBI
> > system bus' pins on the module??).
>
>  no - although if it's one of those standard parallel port
> memory-addressable buses then a DM9000 ethernet PHY would be happy to
> go on it.

I wonder what's doable with something like the bottom range FPGA - e.g.
the cheapest Spartan's?

> > It doesn't seem to specify thickness.
>
>  yeah.  let's assume a 1.5mm thickness.  0.5mm for the B2B connectors
> (that's generous).  1.5mm for the CPU and other parts; that's 3.5mm -
> you're already 1mm over the budget, even for fitting onto a 1.2mm
> thick PCB within a 5mm PCMCIA case.

That's what Type 3 cases are for?

Still, it would be great to find prices on the module and details
of the EBI.

Dave
/ Dr. David Alan Gilbert    |       Running GNU/Linux       | Happy  \
\ gro.gilbert @ treblig.org |                               | In Hex /