[Arm-netbook] A10 and all things audio

Jorgen Lundman lundman at lundman.net
Fri Jul 13 03:20:02 BST 2012

Mele A2000 / Allwinner A10 Android 4 ICS, Mele image.

After fixing the networking and video playback, I took my mele home to test
as a mediaplayer.

Alas, the sound has some issues. I am mostly interested in audio
pass-through, ie, send the audio stream to the avr/amp or tv directly. More
than 2 channels generally. Thus, I did not try the RCA plugs. Since we are
not talking about decoding audio, just pass-through, the license changes
regarding DTS does not apply.

My first attempt is to use HDMI. It is already plugged into the amp at 1080p.

Audio stutters very bad on everything. Interestingly enough, only stereo
sound comes out. It appears to always decode audio. So even if I did manage
to fix the audio stutter, it is still only stereo.

Next I try the SPDIF connection. I notice pretty much right away, that it
never turns on the SPDIF hardware (no red light). Still, plug it in and try
anyway. No sound at all.

The Settings panel for Audio Output has CODEC (no sound), HDMI (stuttering
stereo) and SPDIF (never turns on).

What are the experiences of others? Got something working that is more than
2 channel stereo? Do we know the capabilities of the hardware? I assume it
can do pass-through... what about bit-streaming TrueHD, or DTS-MA ?

I believe the sound stuff is mostly binary blobs, and in areas we do not
have sources for, so I can not attempt to fix it myself.

Lund

--
Jorgen Lundman       | <lundman at lundman.net>
Unix Administrator   | +81 (0)3 -5456-2687 ext 1017 (work)