[Arm-netbook] tablet pricing

lkcl luke luke.leighton at gmail.com
Wed Jul 11 14:36:55 BST 2012

On Wed, Jul 11, 2012 at 2:16 PM, Tsvetan Usunov, OLIMEX LTD <
usunov at olimex.com> wrote:

> **
> >4. A701  7"  Capacitive  ,  VIA8850
> Cortext-A9-1.5GHz   4GNand /512DDR3    US$56 /PC
>

> http://www.ebay.com/itm/Via8850-7-Google-Android-4-0-Capacitive-5-Point-Touch-Tablet-PC-HDMI-1-5GHz-/320939362918?pt=Laptops_Nov05&hash=item4ab97a0a66#ht_20645wt_1207
>
> they do compare directly to A10 :-) seems this will be the A10 killer

... *if* VIA actually open up and actually let people design products based
around it.  example: we've contacted VIA numerous times: absolutely zero
response.  if they expect to operate as total nazi control freaks, VIA
themselves will be the bottleneck: their own fears, paranoia and NDAs will
limit them.

> and after few months there will be someone else who will kill VIA8850 ...

 yes.  the chain of disruptive CPUs so far has been: telechips TCC8901 for
6-8 months, then amlogic's AML-8723-M for 6-8 months, then allwinner's A10
for about a year (so far).

 come on allwinner, get that new CPU out! :)

 /peace