[Arm-netbook] EOMA-68 passthrough implementation

Henrik Nordström henrik at henriknordstrom.net
Tue Jul 10 22:00:06 BST 2012

tis 2012-07-10 klockan 12:28 +0100 skrev lkcl luke:

>  a typical HDMI IC used in LCD monitors does this kind of conversion
> anyway (just not to USB).  typically it's to AC97 or I2S audio.
> however the up-front licensing costs on those stupid HDMI ICs, as
> someone else learned and reported on this list, is around $50,000.  so
> fuck that.

Again, the licensing cost is not on the IC but on HDMI (and optionally
HDCP) as such. You need that same licensing even to build an A10 device
with HDMI output.

It is quite likely you can get one or two HDMI receiver ICs as samples
without having to proove you have a valid HDMI license. But in any
volume purchase of such ICs you are likely to need to proove that you
have an HDMI license for the use of those components.

>  achh, i'd forgotten about that.  hmmm, in a commercial pass-through
> card that might involve dropping an 8-bit micro onto the PCB.  darn.

You quite likely need that anyway to control an DVI/HDMI receiver / LCD
driver. Most are not 100% self-sustained in adopting to the various
kinds of signals you may see over DVI or HDMI.

Regards
Henrik