[Arm-netbook] ARM's OOB para-virtualization & FreeZone in A10?

freebirds at fastmail.fm freebirds at fastmail.fm
Tue Jul 10 19:50:13 BST 2012

I am exhausted. I should have proofread what I wrote. Please delete my
prior reply. I have corrected it here:

On Tue, Jul 10, 2012, at 11:17 AM, freebirds at fastmail.fm wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 10, 2012, at 11:10 AM, Tzafrir Cohen wrote:
> > Ahem.
> > /me will avoid from further responding to this thread. There has been enough off-topic nonsense in it as-is. Though Gordan is not to blame for the bulk of it.

Tzafrir Cohen and Attila Asztalos could you please refrain from
criticism? I am not going to retaliate by criticizing you. I do find it
hypocritical that people into open source software are not into open
source
hardware. I erroneously assumed that every Linux user was like Richard
Stallman, founder of GPU. I erroneously assumed that other Linux users
were taking
Richard Stallman's advice to own a Lemote Yeeloong netbook or some other
open source hardware.

Three weeks ago, I started my search for open source hardware because
one of the computer
security expert who conducted forensics recommended a raspberry pi
because it does not have a BIOS and HPA. He discovered a firmware
rootkit in the HPA of my hard drive and graphic card and extracted it's
encrypted code. I asked him to email the code to me to reply to Gordon's
request for code. He said my processor's timing is off and my BIOS is
not the factory version and does not check for authentication.

The other computer security expert who conducted forensics of my
infected
files recommended UEFI. Raspberry pi, the first ARM device I researched
uses Broadcom which is not open source hardware and has TrustZone. I
ordered a Lemote Yeeloong with a 8 SSD instead of the 160 GB HD as SSD
does not have a HPA. Though I do need more storage than 8 GB and today
I will purchase a 32 GB SD card.

UEFI and Windows 8 will preclude installing Linux. Apple precludes
installing Linux. I am hoping this will force Linux users to search for
open source hardware. They may naively buy ARM devices without being
aware that ARM has TrustZone, Mobicore and virtualization extensions and
MIPS will soon have virtualization. They will not realize that this
hardware is not open source hardware. Indeed, the raspberry pi forum
ceased posting threads complaining that Broadcom is not open source
hardware.

I predict Microsoft and Apple will prevail to discourage users from
switching to Linux. Linux is much more complicated to install on ARMS
and MIPS then i86. Downloading an ISO and burning it to a  DVD to boot
to an i86 is easy.  Following ttutorials on installing Linux on ARM and
MIPS is too complicated and too little support on forums. There are too
few SDcards preinstalled with Linux for sale. If I were not desperate, I
would not have switched to Linux and MIPS.

Gordon Bobic, I appreciate your giving more advice on AV and using AV in
Firefox and Thunderbird. Yet, all of you are ignoring that AV does not
scan BIOS, HPA of hard drives and graphic cards. I need to read articles
on fingerprinting to ascertain whether having numerous plug-ins and
add-ons in Firefox will enable crackers from fingerprinting my browser.
Also, if the AV add-on for Firefox connects to the AV's IP address every
time I use the browser, that would be leaving a paper trail. Much to
research, to learn, to apply and little time.