[Arm-netbook] Slowly but surely...

freebirds at fastmail.fm freebirds at fastmail.fm
Mon Jul 9 21:48:47 BST 2012

Gordon Bobic, as Luke Leighton requested that you refrain from taking an
"adversarial approach", I am requesting this too. I am learning from
your constructive criticism. Please make all your criticism
constructive. Don't insult any member. I ask questions and make mistakes
because I am a newbie. Current newbie members and future members reading
this mailing list can learn and won't need to ask identical questions.

On Mon, Jul 9, 2012, at 07:53 PM, Gordan Bobic wrote:
>> Just about any USB device will work fine on a SheevaPlug, as long as the
> drivers are in the kernel. And since they are selling Mimo USB monitors
> specifically for *Plugs you can bet the Linux drivers are available.
> Surely you didn't need to ask something that obvious.

Gordon Bobic, you are probably proof reading quickly instead of
thoroughly reading my posts. I wrote that NewIt sells a sheevaPlug and
DreamPlug preconfigured with a Mimo touchscreen driver. I wrote I do not
need a touchscreen. I need an LCD monitor. I am not going to assume that
a Mimo touchscreen driver is going to work on any USB LCD monitor.
Today, NewIt replied that they tested USB keyboards and mouses and they
work. I replied how about USB monitors.

A member posted that using 2 -3 USB devices with a powered hub causes
their DreamPlug to reboot or continuously reboot. See
http://www.newit.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,3246.0.html. I am concerned
using four USB devices may cause the same problem. The four USB devices
would be keyboard, mouse, monitor and network adapter.

> You really should leave paranoia over such tings to the geeks, too. At
> least they will know what is worthy of paranoia and what isn't. It
> really isn't helping you. Do you really think that the WiFi and BT will
> work at all without the firmware being uploaded into them by the kernel
> driver?

I am not paranoid. I previously posted that I never ever use bluetooth.
The driver of the network adapter is uploaded when I use a live CD of
Fedora, Tails, Lightweight Portable Security, etc. Unfortunately, I
won't be able to use live DVDs with my Lemote Yeeloong netbook and
DreamPlug. I will make system recovery SDcards in the event that I need
to reinstall my customized OS.