[Arm-netbook] Slowly but surely...

freebirds at fastmail.fm freebirds at fastmail.fm
Mon Jul 9 17:47:00 BST 2012

ARMv7 is not on ARM's list of processors supporting TrustZone.
http://mobile.arm.com/products/processors/technologies/trustzone.php?tab=Why+TrustZone?

ARM needs to update their list and also include processors that support
virtualization extensions such as ARM Cortex A9 which ARMv7 has.

On the NewIt forum, I asked simple mundane questions such as whether an
USB mini keyboard, mouse and LCD screen will work with a SheevaPlug or
will there be driver problems. NewIt sells the sheevaplug and dreamplug
preconfigured with a mimo driver for the mimo touch screen. Rebranded
MimoPlug is sold on Amazon. Since I do a lot of typing, I need a
keyboard. The NewIt forum does not have much activity. It isn't just my
posts that do not receive much responses, if any.

I read complaints of Sheevaplugs and Guruplugs over heating on several
forums. Freedombox Foundation's mailing list explains how Globalscale
designed DreamPlug not to over heat.
http://www.mail-archive.com/freedombox-discuss@lists.alioth.debian.org/msg00843.html
Yesterday, I found a photograph of DreamPlug's motherboard and emailed
it to two geeks asking if they can desolder the wifi and bluetooth.

On Mon, Jul 9, 2012, at 05:22 PM, Gordan Bobic wrote:
> Apologies for top posting. I'm MUA-challenged on Android.
>
> First of all ARMv7 includes all Cortex-A8/A9 CPUs and newer Marvell ARMs
> such as Armada.
>
> Secondly, a fully populated Viridis is $50K (or will be when it goes
> retail). If you can afford one you might as well hire a part time
> sysadmin to look after your computer estate and it's security.
>
> Thirdly, SheevaPlugs don't overheat. I have several in the RedSleeve
> build farm. They have uptimes of many months, and none have ever
> overheated. This is largely a myth due to a handful at some point having
> left the factory with a duff PSU. The main source of heat is the CPU, and
> my plugs never exceed 45C (~25C above ambient) even after days of
> constant compiling. It's a non-issue unless you plan to run them inside
> an oven.
>
> I suspect the reason you aren't getting an answer on the forums is
> related to the obscurity if the questions you are asking, presumably
> relating to TrustZone, Mobicore, virtualization and other similarly
> exotic things that are irrelevant to the vast majority of users. Just
> guessing.
>
> Gordan
>
> freebirds at fastmail.fm wrote:
>
> >Thank you Gordan Bobic for bringing the Viridis to our attention. ARMv7
> >does not have TrustZone and Mobicore. Viridis meets my other
> >specifications of removable or no wifi and bluetooth. Preinstalled with
> >Fedora or Ubuntu so newbies like me don't have to get frustrating
> >installing an OS. Though it is over powered for my needs, the free tech
> >support is well worth the price. In contrast, the SheevaPlug I was
> >considering over heats, Globalscale Technology's tech support is
> >practically nonexistent and my questions on NewIt's forum remain
> >unanswered. I will order a Viridis!
> >
> >On Mon, Jul 9, 2012, at 01:23 PM, Gordan Bobic wrote:
> >> The usefulness of the concept of an A10 EOMA for server application is
> >> slipping away. The expected pricing of these will be about $1000/server
> >> or about $250 per core.
> >>
> >> http://www.theregister.co.uk/2012/07/09/boston_viridis_arm_server/
> >>
> >> Not quite as cheap per core as a CuBox, but the difference is easily
> >> worth the convenience.
> >>
> >> Gordan

> >--
> >http://www.fastmail.fm - One of many happy users: