[Arm-netbook] extraordinary claims ...

Gordan Bobic gordan at bobich.net
Sat Jul 7 23:18:30 BST 2012

On 07/07/2012 22:33, freebirds at fastmail.fm wrote:
> Regardless whether I am "prejudice", I provide published references
> regarding the information and questions I ask on this mailing list. If I
> understood everything, I would not be asking questions. ARM will be
> installing Mobicore into TrustZone. The possible implications of this I
> wrote based on the cited articles I read on Mobicore. The implications
> are not wild. They are based on prior actions by other companies such as
> Intel, Dell, etc.
>
> Other forums have made wilder implications regarding the first article I
> cited on Mobicore. See the last comment in
> http://forums.anandtech.com/archive/index.php/t-2237099.html

Right, now some paranoid individual's rant is official information, is
it? You can find forum posts on the internet to support any hypothesis.
But you seem intent on believing what you have already decided on
without any evidence, so I'm going to give up on this. In fact, this
thread has made me realize I am actually wasting my time not just on
this thread but on the list.

> Here's another "wild allegation." Mobicore offers Mobisecure which
> appears similar to Intel's vPRO and Computrace.
> http://www.thinkgizmo.com/mobisecure.html  TrustZone using Mobicore
> using Mobisecure will be able to track the geolocation of the ARM
> device!

No more than Google Maps on your Android phone is able to, without any
of the said technology. The problem isn't the hardware extensions that
make it easier to write legitimate software to do these things. The
problem is in getting infected with malware that gets in via some other
means.

> To answer your other question Gordon, the word "remote" was in the
> article I cited.

Sure, but if you read the whole sentence, let alone the whole paragraph
where it is mentioned, you would know that this (Mobicore) is referring
to the OS that has such remote control features. Just because Mobicore
might be remotely controllable doesn't mean that Android or WinPho or
Meego are going to be remotely controllable by virtue of running on the
same hardware.

Seriously - have you actually read the article you linked?

Let me help you:
"As an alternative to iOS or Android, companies could flash employee
handsets with Mobicore, which is now being accelerated and enabled
directly by hardware, thanks to the new partnership."

So yes, a phone manufacturer bring out a phone that is running Mobicore
instead of Android - but they would only be ensuring nobody would buy
it. Look at how much success WinPho is having in the marketplace. There
just doesn't seem to be any appetite in the marketplace for yet another
OS. Yet another storm in a teacup. It's not even a teacup, more like a
thimble.

Gordan