[Arm-netbook] ARM HDA Advice?

Frans Meulenbroeks fransmeulenbroeks at gmail.com
Thu Jul 5 10:57:25 BST 2012

2012/7/5 Iain Bullard <iain.bullard at gmail.com>

> On 5 July 2012 10:33, Frans Meulenbroeks <fransmeulenbroeks at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> >

> > 2012/7/5 cnxsoft <cnxsoft at cnx-software.com>
> >>

> >> Ah, that explains the problem.
> >> You should not run the graphical installer. This is not supported yet as
> >> there are still some issues with it.
> >> After running
> >> sh install-amahi
> >> it will ask you to reboot. At that point all is installed and you should
> >> be able to browse to http://hda (or if that is not properly working you
> >> could try http://localhost )
> >>
> >> You still might be able to give it a try with the current install, but
> as
> >> I am not sure what changes the graphical installer made, so I would
> suggest
> >> a reinstall to be safe.
> >>
> >> BTW feel free to ping me on irc in #amahi or #arm-netbook (but when at
> >> work I have limited time),
> >>
> >> Frans
> >>

> >> I went to http://localhost:2000, right after both http://hda and
> >> http://localhost failed, as I could see that address in the log.
> >

> > Ah ok.
> > Do you by any chance have the install log handy. If so I'd appreciate a
> > copy.
> > I've seen http://hda not working. If that happens typicall DNS points to
> > your ISP or router or so and not to the box itself (it runs a dns server
> so
> > you can go to http://hda etc)
>
> Why not create an entry in /etc/hosts for hda during your install
> process? Then even if the user is using DNS from their ISP or router
> (both of which are very common) the name resolver will use /etc/hosts
> first.
>
> In fact, if the systems' hostname is 'hda' then the entry should
> already be configured on most linux distributions.
>
> Installing a DNS server just for a single local alias seems like
> overkill, though maybe you've got other uses for it.
>
> Rationale for using DNS is that you can also use it from other systems
(very nice in the server case; aim is that this could be a server in your
utility closet without even having a local screen on it).
Also amahi has several hosts running. E.g. if you install bittorrent you
could browse to http://bttorrent or so to go to the web mgmt interface of
your bittorrent client.
Similar for http://cups, http://blog etc etc.
Virtually every server running on the hda has its own web interface running
as a virtual host in apache and exposes its name through dns.

Frans