[Arm-netbook] ARM HDA Advice?

Iain Bullard iain.bullard at gmail.com
Thu Jul 5 10:47:42 BST 2012

On 5 July 2012 10:33, Frans Meulenbroeks <fransmeulenbroeks at gmail.com> wrote:

> 2012/7/5 cnxsoft <cnxsoft at cnx-software.com>
>>

>> Ah, that explains the problem.
>> You should not run the graphical installer. This is not supported yet as
>> there are still some issues with it.
>> After running
>> sh install-amahi
>> it will ask you to reboot. At that point all is installed and you should
>> be able to browse to http://hda (or if that is not properly working you
>> could try http://localhost )
>>
>> You still might be able to give it a try with the current install, but as
>> I am not sure what changes the graphical installer made, so I would suggest
>> a reinstall to be safe.
>>
>> BTW feel free to ping me on irc in #amahi or #arm-netbook (but when at
>> work I have limited time),
>>
>> Frans
>>

>> I went to http://localhost:2000, right after both http://hda and
>> http://localhost failed, as I could see that address in the log.
>

> Ah ok.
> Do you by any chance have the install log handy. If so I'd appreciate a
> copy.
> I've seen http://hda not working. If that happens typicall DNS points to
> your ISP or router or so and not to the box itself (it runs a dns server so
> you can go to http://hda etc)

Why not create an entry in /etc/hosts for hda during your install
process? Then even if the user is using DNS from their ISP or router
(both of which are very common) the name resolver will use /etc/hosts
first.

In fact, if the systems' hostname is 'hda' then the entry should
already be configured on most linux distributions.

Installing a DNS server just for a single local alias seems like
overkill, though maybe you've got other uses for it.

Iain.