[Arm-netbook] Looking for an ARM Netbook !

Gordan Bobic gordan at bobich.net
Wed Jul 4 07:09:20 BST 2012

 On Tue, 3 Jul 2012 19:49:58 +0100, lkcl luke <luke.leighton at gmail.com>
 wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 3, 2012 at 7:32 PM, Alexey Eromenko <al4321 at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>> Hi All !
>>
>> Just as the list name implies, ARM-netbook, is what I'm looking for.
>
>  hooraaay :)
>
>> I plan to install Linux+KDE into it, and remove Android, or
>> dual-boot.
>>
>> Required parameters:
>
>  ok, let's go through these.
>
>> 1 GB RAM (KDE will not run on 512 MB RAM... will swap like crazy)
>> CPU: Allwinner A10 (preferably)
>
>  BOM is up to about $40 at this point, for the PCB and parts.
>
>> Built-in 3G modem. (preferably)
>
>  add about $80 for a PCIe-based modem.  they're _expensive_.
>

>> Resolution: 1024x600 or above (7"-11" size)
>
>  add $35 for 10in 1024x600, but add probably around $80 for a
> 1024x600
> 7in.  the dot-pitch is harder to do, reduces the yields dramatically.
> rather than sell screens even with one bad pixel the manufacturers
> *smash* the glass and recycle it.
>

>> mobile keyboard is a must
>
>  $2.
>
>  ok, add about $15 to $20 for remaining parts (battery, case).
>
>> Price: under $200.
>
>  not a cat in hell's chance.  the BOM comes to almost $200.  now you
> have to add testing, profit, tax, shipping, middle-man profit,
> customs
> duty, tax, tax on customs duty - you're realistically looking at
> around $350 to $400.
>

>> Candidate:
>>
>> http://www.aliexpress.com/product-gs/533150474-Teclast-P85-Tablet-PC-8-android-2-3-A10-1-5GHz-1024x768-Camera-1GB-DDR3-16GB-wholesalers.html
>>
>> Only problem: no 3G modem.
>
>  yes.  that would reduce the BOM to somewhere around $110.  oh wait -
> an 8in 1024x768 LCD?  yeah those will bee... abouuut.... $45 to $50
> so
> yes, the sale price of $135 to $150 is about right.
>
>  then you have to add tax, shipping, customs duty, tax and tax on
> customs duty.  realistically you're looking at a budget of about
> $220.

 And if you follow that logic, you'll also have to build it yourself or
 wait for someone to do so. :)
 Meanwhile, back in the real world, most of us have stopped holding our
 breath and are making do with what is available - some of which is
 already more advanced (by at least an extra CPU core) than the described
 A10 solution.

 Gordan