[Arm-netbook] Any ARM SoC has Open-Source access to hardware video decoder ?

Henrik Nordström henrik at henriknordstrom.net
Mon Jul 2 17:35:42 BST 2012

mån 2012-07-02 klockan 15:19 +0100 skrev lkcl luke:

>  superb.  so the Software Freedom Law Centre's quiet work of the past
> 18 months has paid off.  that's really really good to hear.

LG have been publishing kernel etc sources for a long long time. But
recent models (2 years or so) are locked down only accepting encrypted
firmware. Older models much more hacking friendly.

>  ... actually, tell you what: does it say which CPU is in there?  it
> should be evaluated for use in an EOMA product.  *especially* if full
> sources are available.

They have a number of generations. It's quite TV oriented SoCs from what
I remember. You should be able to find out more details on openlgtv and
other similar places.

>  also can you either photocopy, OCR-scan or just type out the list of
> software sources?  they should be evaluated properly.  the critical
> one is going to be the boot-up system, the kernel and if it's a weird
> CPU the toolchain.

MIPS or ARM based SoCs depending on generation from what I remember.

Regards
Henrik