[Arm-netbook] Any ARM SoC has Open-Source access to hardware video decoder ?

lkcl luke luke.leighton at gmail.com
Sun Jul 1 16:48:05 BST 2012

On Sun, Jul 1, 2012 at 4:35 PM, Alexey Eromenko <al4321 at gmail.com> wrote:
> How much the ICube's IC1 costs ?

 that's confidential - we have however advised them that it has to be
price-competitive with existing systems of the same speed.  given that
the IC1's interfaces are quite limited (no HDMI) that sets an upper
limit.  no SATA, no ethernet: again, that upper limit keeps pushing
downwards.

> Also one of the BIG problems, at least initially, is that it uses MVP
> architecture, which would require maintaining a full linux distro for
> it (Debian?).

 it's a totally new architecture.  whatever you do it's going to have
to have absolutely eeeverything recompiled.

> Is anyone learning this opportunity ?

 not yet.  whilst they're enthusiastic about working with the free
software community they are still in a strange "android-esque let's do
everything ourselves with zero assistance or community collaboration"
mode.

> Are there weak points in this design ?

 don't know.  too early to tell.