[Arm-netbook] CC3000 Wi-Fi for MCU

Vladimir Pantelic vladoman at gmail.com
Wed Jan 25 12:58:47 GMT 2012

On 01/25/2012 01:23 PM, Alejandro Mery wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 25, 2012 at 13:18, Gordan Bobic<gordan at bobich.net>  wrote:
>> Vladimir Pantelic wrote:

>>> basically an elaborate version of the sabbath light switch...
>>
>> Or: "Cheap, fast, reliable. Pick any two."
>
> In this context one picks the last two. "freedom" is unfortunatelly not cheap.

What we have here is basically two identical pieces of hardware, both
running an identical firmware and performing exactly the same, with
the sole difference that one of them has the write protect fuse set
and thus is called the "free" one, right?

Don't get me wrong, I am totally fine with people *believing* in the
above. But I think that building an elaborate Rube Goldberg device
around a closed source binary blob and by doing that blessing it for FSF
endorsed use is actually counterproductive for the free software
effort. Either you have a free driver and then you use the hardware
as you see fit, or you don't and then you don't use the hardware and
that's it. As you said, freedom comes with a price and in this case
it's having to use wired ethernet...

Regards,