[Arm-netbook] CC3000 Wi-Fi for MCU

lkcl luke luke.leighton at gmail.com
Wed Jan 25 08:59:26 GMT 2012

On Wed, Jan 25, 2012 at 8:49 AM, Vladimir Pantelic <vladoman at gmail.com> wrote:
> lkcl luke wrote:
>> On Tue, Jan 24, 2012 at 1:45 AM, jonsmirl at gmail.com<jonsmirl at gmail.com>  wrote:
>>
>>>  We have a design which could be switched to a msp430 so I am
>>>  interested in getting some real pricing data on the CC3000 modules.
>>
>>   jon.... do you think you could design a FSF-Hardware-Endorseable WIFI
>> module?  (preferably in Mini PCIe USB form-factor)
>>
>>   i've been talking to Dr Richard Stallman and there isn't a single
>> modern WIFI module available, that i can find, that does *not* require
>> non-free firmware.
>>
>>   if you or anyone else happens to know of one, such a module is
>> seriously seriously needed, almost regardless of cost.
>>
>>   the requirements are that if there is non-free firmware, it *must*
>> repeat *must* be in "hardware", unmodifiable, untouchable,
>> un-bypassable.
>
> unbugfixable

 yeah don't remind me.  the policy there is: tough luck, go buy
another one... just as you would purchase any other piece of broken
hardware that was also "unfixable".

 whilst that may sound strange, ask yourself this: how many times do
you *actually* upgrade WIFI firmware?  and, does it work if you do??

 for example: i've always found atheros WIFI to be really rather shit,
and no amount of searching for replacement WIFI firmware actually
fixes the problem.  usually these are low-cost x86 netbooks that will,
under no circumstances, connect to very specific makes and models of
access points.