[Arm-netbook] CC3000 Wi-Fi for MCU

lkcl luke luke.leighton at gmail.com
Tue Jan 24 18:32:20 GMT 2012

On Tue, Jan 24, 2012 at 3:12 PM, jonsmirl at gmail.com <jonsmirl at gmail.com> wrote:

> Accord into the his rules we need to ban all cars, televisions, video
> games and refrigerators. Even the keyboard you are probably typing on
> and all hard disk drives. His position is unreasonable.

"The Reasonable Man adapts himself to the world.
 The Unreasonable Man adapts the world to himself.
 Therefore, all progress depends upon the Unreasonable Man."

jon, your words are... sarcastic and unnecessary.  please don't talk
disparagingly about Dr Richard Stallman, without whom you would be
unlikely to have a business in the field that you are in - history
would be completely and utterly different - because apart from many
other fundamental software tools on which your business critically
depends there would be no GNU c compiler.

your words indicate that you do not understand the position of the FSF
and do not understand the FSF Hardware Endorsement Criteria, and also
do not understand that there is in fact a business case for helping
people to obtain and purchase, at well-above-standard pricing levels
for the same equivalent product, products that are FSF Hardware
Endorseable.

please do not criticise - especially with sarcasm - that which you do
not understand.  ok, feel free to do so, but not on this list.

> The only wifi that is close is the old Marvell Liberatas chipset used
> in the first OLPC. They started an open source firmware project for it
> but no one finished it. They had the doc but couldn't find anyone who
> would waste a couple years writing it.

 it's more than that: it turns out that the chip had a proprietary
micro kernel, loaded into ROM, which marvell could not, obviously,
commit to releasing (despite saying that they would, cheeky fuckers),
because they themselves were obviously under NDA.

 so people are having to reverse-engineer the vector tables for that
proprietary microkernel's functions.

 after that's all done, they then need to take the finished firmware
to the FCC and have it Certified, at a grand total of $USD 100,000,
plus $5k per additional country in which the firmware is to be used.

> Just put on a current Ralink chipset and don't ship the firmware. Then
> each individual can make their decision as to whether they want wifi
> or want to remain pure. The Ralink chips are the cheapest available
> that work reliably.

 that would still not be FSF Hardware Endorseable.  i'm looking for a solution.