[Arm-netbook] CC3000 Wi-Fi for MCU

lkcl luke luke.leighton at gmail.com
Tue Jan 24 05:17:19 GMT 2012

On Tue, Jan 24, 2012 at 1:45 AM, jonsmirl at gmail.com <jonsmirl at gmail.com> wrote:

> We have a design which could be switched to a msp430 so I am
> interested in getting some real pricing data on the CC3000 modules.

 jon.... do you think you could design a FSF-Hardware-Endorseable WIFI
module?  (preferably in Mini PCIe USB form-factor)

 i've been talking to Dr Richard Stallman and there isn't a single
modern WIFI module available, that i can find, that does *not* require
non-free firmware.

 if you or anyone else happens to know of one, such a module is
seriously seriously needed, almost regardless of cost.

 the requirements are that if there is non-free firmware, it *must*
repeat *must* be in "hardware", unmodifiable, untouchable,
un-bypassable.

 here are some schemes which are *not* suitable:

 * uploading the firmware from an embedded processor which has a PROM
on it, and then doing "switching" of the USB (or SDIO) pins over to
the main processor.  the reason why this is not acceptable is because
as soon as the "switching" is carried out, the main processor could
then send *another* reset and *another* "firmware upload" of a
proprietary firmware block that was obtained off of the hard drive
attached to the main processor.  this is NOT acceptable.

 * connecting a 54mb/sec WIFI chip to a low-cost processor with only
12mb/sec SDIO capabilities.  that's just... daft.

 * inserting an FPGA into the mix, to analyse the data stream in
real-time, to spot a "firmware upload" and disconnect the WIFI if one
is noticed.

 ideas anyone?