[Arm-netbook] Small Pitch BGA Packages

Bari Ari bari at onelabs.com
Mon Jan 23 13:41:41 GMT 2012

On 01/23/2012 07:31 AM, Bari Ari wrote:
> On 01/23/2012 04:50 AM, lkcl luke wrote:
>> http://www.ti.com/product/am3894  hm - i swear i saw something like
>> this for $95 not $38.  ok, so maybe they managed to get reasonable
>> yields on these 1000+ pin BGA packages after all.
>>

> You might be under a misconception that there are yield issues with
> getting die packaged into small pitch bga. It's really not an issue.
>
> Assembly to a PCB is more difficult.
>
> -Bari

We have also discussed an open source pick and place machine capable of
.005mm accuracy that can handle very accurate placement of BGA's.
Linuxcnc can already handle all the control and the XYZ stage is pretty
simple for small board like these. It's something that could easily be
built DIY for $1-2K depending on the size and travel.