[Arm-netbook] AMD APU's in EOMA and ARM SOC's with PCIe

lkcl luke luke.leighton at gmail.com
Mon Jan 23 00:32:26 GMT 2012

On Sun, Jan 22, 2012 at 7:55 PM, Bari Ari <bari at onelabs.com> wrote:
> On 01/22/2012 12:06 PM, lkcl luke wrote:
>> i don't actually have enough experience with x86 CPUs to know what's
>> common across all the various chipsets. is it normal for them to all
>> have displayport? or, are the chipsets all different? last time i
>> looked at intel atom - when i could find anything at all - they had
>> LVDS outputs. the important thing is that the EOMA-68 be for the
>> *internal* connectors. anything that's normally an external connector,
>> it should stay that way.
>
> Some overview:
>
> http://www.amd.com/us/products/embedded/processors/Pages/g-series.aspx
>
> http://www.amd.com/us/Documents/49282_G-Series_platform_brief.pdf
>
> I have no plans for anything Intel since they won't share docs and have
> their own closed EFI agenda vs coreboot.

 that works for me.

 ok i reviewed the PDFs: there are 2 display ports.  one you can have
as HDMI, and the other as DVI, which then goes through a TI TFP401a,
which would convert to 24-bit RGB/TTL.

 thus, everything else can stay the same: HD-audio could come out on
the front-facing connector.

 anything else, like the remaining _twelve_ USB2 interfaces (!) and
the PCI-e could all be internal expansion header connectors.  if
there's not enough room for 44-pin ones then you could use those micro
B2B connectors, like these guys do:

 http://www.kitarm.com/news/330-kitarm-release-tablet-solution-with-omap3-dm3730-cortex-a8-dsp-dual-core.html