[Arm-netbook] AMD APU's in EOMA and ARM SOC's with PCIe

Henrik Nordström henrik at henriknordstrom.net
Sun Jan 22 23:13:06 GMT 2012

sön 2012-01-22 klockan 18:53 +0000 skrev lkcl luke:
> want to put it on the connector because a simple USB audio driver IC
> or even an STM32F with a Class D (PWM) amplifier on the back would do
> the same job.

I was just about to say the same.

High def audio in EOMA connector do not make much sense. USB is quite
sufficient for high def audio, and wonderfully
cross-platform/cpu/chipset/whaterver compatible, so lets not waste
energy on agreeing on what kind of advanved audio interface to use in
the EOMA interface standard. If anything then simple analog stereo audio
for driving internal speakers in tablet/notebook, but serisouly the cost
of a stereo USB chip is pretty marginal I think?

For this form factor to work for tablets/notebooks use case there MUST
be some display connection however. And probably something for
touchscreen unless USB is used for that.

The only I worry that USB for both audio and touchscreen may add a bit
too much on the base unit BOM (audio controller, touch controller, hub)

IR, HD-Audio both fits nicely on USB.

I am not sure at all on LAN. My gut feeling is that LAN is better suited
as an external edge connector. I mean LAN always goes to the CPU only,
and we need the PHY on board anyway or it will be a mess. Routing
gigabit ethernet via the EOMA connector and some base board do not
exactly smell any good at all to me and is likely to mess up and crash
with FCC signal emission regulations etc. Don't go there.

So for the EOMA connector I end up with

- SATA (high perf storage in base unit)
- Some suitable display interface for connecting an internal panel
(laptop & tablet usage). I.e. LVDS or MIPI DSI.
- i2c
- USB (Keyboard, mouse, audio, basic storage)
- Power
- Optionally analog stereo audio, but may be routed over USB
- Maybe something for touch screen interface. But USB is an option there
as well.

Probably

- HDMI, for smart-TV controller usage. But maybe not suitable as display
interface dor laptop/tablet case above. Or is it? Interface needs to
support HDCP.
- If something else than HDMI is used then SPDIF audio.

And NOT

- High def audio (USB & HDMI both serves that purpose nicely)
- LAN

External edge connectors:

- HDMI
- Micro-USB AB
- Headphones
- LAN, special cable, or double size PCMCIA, or extending externally.
Would recommend extending externally.
- Antenna for wifi/bt on cards having such functionality built in.
Antenna can also be builtin by extending the card a bit externally.

Internal Edge:

- MicroSD storage for increased persistent storage. Could even be the
sole storage (no NAND required).
- Recovery switch.
Both behind a small sealed door to keep edge clean in normal usage and
avoid accidental loss of SD card in transport. See Trimslice design if
you wonder what I mean.

Internal:

- Extension connector. Accessible when without cover, or by having a
flip cover opening which can be opened if needed (held in place by screw
or metal spring effect).

Regards
Henrik