[Arm-netbook] Marvell Kirkwood + Volari vs Tegra2, 3 or omap4460

Gordan Bobic gordan at bobich.net
Thu Jan 19 17:07:43 GMT 2012

Bari Ari wrote:
> Has anybody (Gordan) done any actual testing to measure the performance
> and feel of the Marvell Kirkwood + Volari vs Tegra2, 3 or omap4430/60
> with Linux?

In a word - not yet.

Note that the only ARM hardware I have with a mini-PCIe slot is Armada
based, so I cannot test Kirkwood+Volari. I will get a Volari card at
some point and test it with the Armada, though.

What kind of performance are you talking about? If you can specify what
and how you want benchmarked I'll see what I can do.

Tegra2 accelerated binary-only driver is sufficiently buggy that I don't
use it. I use the dumb frame buffer driver instead as it also lets me
scrape back 62MB of RAM on my AC100, which is handy on a machine that
only has a total of 512MB.

I can try to do some video playback performance testing but it'll be at
least a few weeks before I can get around to it (then again, it'll
probably be that long before I can get my hands on a Volari mini-PCIe
card anyway).

I have no Tegra3 or OMAP devices.

Gordan