[Arm-netbook] NuSmartTM 2816

lkcl luke luke.leighton at gmail.com
Tue Jan 17 18:05:13 GMT 2012

On Tue, Jan 17, 2012 at 5:30 PM, Gordan Bobic <gordan at bobich.net> wrote:

> For possible future relevance - what SoCs are available that don't have
> a GPU at all? Off the top of my head I can only think of Marvell
> Kirkwood, but there must be more. Perhaps it might be worthwhile

* ingenic CPUs up to jz4750
* ST micro's spear1310
* TI's OMAP3503 (and one other in that series, 3525 or something)
* AM Sitara CPUs 335x all have the option of non-PowerVR
* Loongson MIPS-based CPUs

 TI's CPUs are usually $3 to $5 cheaper if they don't have PowerVR SGX
on-board.  Ingenic's CPUs have X-Burst Vector Processing.

http://www.loongson.cn/EN/product_info.php?id=33

[quote from ian bank's book "excession"] dear holy fucking shit. [/end
ian banks quote]

the 3A is quad-core and the 3B is 8-core.  128Gigaflops floating-point
performance.  1ghz, 65nm.  1080p MPEG decode capable at 100fps in a
single 1ghz core.

developer board:
http://www.loongson.cn/uploadfile/product/20100705054852.jpg

they're planning to do 28nm:
http://www.loongson.cn/EN/news_info.php?id=43

until they do, it's wayyy too much power consumption.

and a 1121-pin BGA package, that's.... that's a bitch. yields will not
be particularly good [each of the pins is hammer-welded to the silicon
wafer: the BGA pads are on a multi-layer PCB, themselves.  you hit the
wafer 1121 times with a hammer to get it to stick to the pins-board,
it doesn't do it much good...]