[Arm-netbook] power consumption?

lkcl luke luke.leighton at gmail.com
Sat Jan 14 01:10:07 GMT 2012

On Sat, Jan 14, 2012 at 12:12 AM, Bari Ari <bari at onelabs.com> wrote:
> On 01/13/2012 05:54 PM, lkcl luke wrote:
>>
>>> AMD APU's already have factory coreboot support.
>>   oo - i meant to ask you: what's the chances do you think of getting
>> an AMD CPU and all the required gubbins into a height of 5.5mm on an
>> EOMA68 card (including heatsink)?
>>

> There are boards down to pico-itx with Fusion:
> http://www.axiomtek.com/Products/ViewProduct.asp?view=950
>
> Take away all the big headers and connectors and it's there already.

 aw wild.  and add SATA.

> The card jacket itself is not the complete cooling solution. It would
> merely provide heat conduction to a finned heatsink or the device's
> enclosure for passive/convection cooling.

 ... which many smaller devices simply won't have, in order to keep costs down.

  hmmm... it might be worthwhile deliberately having the case at 8mm
(Type III PCMCIA) so that it doesn't fit into the smaller sockets.

 that would make it possible to still fit the smaller cards into the
(larger) sockets.

 other remaining issue: power.  PCMCIA's 68-pin connector pins are
limited to 0.5A each.  if we made one of them negotiable up to 12v
(after power-up and reading the I2C EEPROM), that would give almost 8
watts (12*0.5 + 5*0.5).

 do you think that would be enough?