[Arm-netbook] motherboard negotiation

lkcl luke luke.leighton at gmail.com
Sat Jan 14 00:04:21 GMT 2012

On Fri, Jan 13, 2012 at 10:43 PM, Justin Cormack
<justin at specialbusservice.com> wrote:

> I assumed that to be standard they would have to mechanically fit, so extra headers would need to be inside the jacket and sizes, or possibly on ribbon cables so they fit.

 naah.  mess.  ok, i should say: yes, fine - feel free to try it.
personally i will not be recommending (at all) the creation of *any*
cards for mass-volume purposes which have wires sticking out of them,
pins that can get bent off etc.

 you have to remember that we're fitting between both worlds.

 a) engineers
 b) mass-market

 for the mass-market, it's going to be grannies who will call up
little johnny because he can do anything, and little johnny is 5 years
old and if it doesn't go in right he hits it harder until it _does_ go
in.  just for entertainment when granny isn't looking, he'll take
anything that's sticking out and shove a kitchen fork up its bum.

 so for any product which fits that mass-market, we must NOT have
anything sticking out that can be bent off, or otherwise explored with
implements.

 for the engineers, however, that *exact* same product could have, if
it had its case removed, any number of wires sticking out, and extra
bits soldered to it.

 if those same engineers feel comfortable about removing the bit of
plastic at the end [the one with the mass-volume connectors in it such
as HDMI and USB-OTG], such that those wires happen to then
conveniently meander out of the end of an EOMA-68 socket, then great!

 ... but they're engineers: they know the consequences and won't
expect a refund if it all goes horribly wrong.

> I dont want to have something labelled EOMA that doesnt fit in my machine because of some unicorn on the back...

 awwww :)