[Arm-netbook] power consumption?

lkcl luke luke.leighton at gmail.com
Fri Jan 13 23:54:26 GMT 2012

On Fri, Jan 13, 2012 at 11:31 PM, Bari Ari <bari at onelabs.com> wrote:
> On 01/13/2012 05:08 PM, Michelle Konzack wrote:
>> Hello Bari Ari,
>>
>> Am 2012-01-13 10:12:01, hacktest Du folgendes herunter:
>>> I can fit an AMD APU quite comfortably under 10W or even over 10W with
>>> configrable power pins. I won't tell you guys how to design software, if
>>> you don't tell me how to design hardware :).
>> 10 Watt?  LOL  maybe 1 Watt with a SC520  :-D  Hahaha
>>
>> (Just coming from hospital and now I am a little bit funny)

 best time to get onto email then, eh? :)

> Sure. Any x86 low power x86 with open docs for coreboot.
>
> Somebody was working on Vortex http://www.vortex86sx.com/

 i spoke with RDC a few months back: the RDC100 CPUs are 2W.  add the
RAM and a decent GPU (not that you can get one: the IAD100HV only has
PCI) and you're way outside comparable metrics when compared to an ARM
CPU for price, performance and power.

 i mean, it's nice that a taiwanese company joined the x86 competitive
market but they're hum... maybe 5 years late?  now, if they had an
integrated vector processor like the X-Burst or the Altivec, which was
simple yet powerful enough to do some 3D computation so that they
didn't need to have a proprietary GPU on-board, now i could go for
that.

 but as it stands?  naah.  the AMD Geode LX900 would be better: at
least it's a stonking design (self-clocking), and has that YUV-to-RGB
accelerated hardware block.

> AMD APU's already have factory coreboot support.

 oo - i meant to ask you: what's the chances do you think of getting
an AMD CPU and all the required gubbins into a height of 5.5mm on an
EOMA68 card (including heatsink)?