[Arm-netbook] EOMA-68 layout

lkcl luke luke.leighton at gmail.com
Fri Jan 13 22:35:52 GMT 2012

On Fri, Jan 13, 2012 at 10:17 PM, Bari Ari <bari at onelabs.com> wrote:

> People are starting to ask me about the connector and expansion headers
> on the module and I'd like to clear a few things up.
>
> Can we stop calling the PCMCIA connector the PCMCIA connector?

 *cackle* yes please.  i just hadn't thought of anything yet.

> It always
> confuses the **** out of people since they assume it's 100% PCMCIA
> compatible. We know what it is, they don't, and it's a waste of time to
> keep on clearing up this issue. How about we call it the EOMA connector
> or EOMA-64 connector or something similar? Same for the card. Its not a
> PCMCIA card, it's a EOMA or EOMA-64 card. PCMCIA cards are something
> with a completely different electrical standard.

 EOMA-68.

 because it's actually the 68 pins that are the standard.  we'll have
to live with it being synonymous with PCMCIA because heck how many
other 68-pin removable interfaces out there are there?

> Now on to the expansion header/s. The standard EOMA card will just have
> the EOMA connector and a full metal jacket, if I am still up to date.

 yep.  or plastic if the components don't create too much heat.  [and
also a plastic header that protrudes 7mm out from the end of the metal
jacket, and is 2mm *wider* than the metal jacket, on one side]

> The side of the card opposite the EOMA connector could be used for
> expansion headers, connectors, jacks, pictures of unicorns, or whatever.

 *cackle*.  hey, can we make it part of the standard that there has to
be a picture of a unicorn on it?  heck, can we make that the logo?  we
could have some slogans: "EOMA: it's magic!" or  "don't get one of
these up your bum..."

> If the connectors stick out past the edge of the metal jacket then it
> won't fit into products designed for just the standard EOMA connector
> and metal jacket. That's ok, since these non-standard EOMA cards with
> expansion headers or connectors (whatever) will be used in other types
> of custom products/motherboards.

 yes.  or factory-installed units that want to ride off the back of
the mass-volume pricing, but don't want to do a complete total product
redesign.  faster time-to-market, lower cost too, comes with extra
ponies, unicorn thrown in for free.

> In fact expansion headers or connectors
> could be placed anywhere on the board without regard for a metal jacket
> at all if you wish.

 correct.

> They just won't be standard EOMA cards but they will
> use the standard EOMA connector.

 correct.

> Lets sort this out before I bring up a few more hardware issues.

 looks good to me.  a couple of other people pointed out "whoops" on
the EOMA-PCMCIA thing, too.