[Arm-netbook] motherboard negotiation

Bari Ari bari at onelabs.com
Fri Jan 13 22:17:21 GMT 2012

On 01/13/2012 03:56 PM, lkcl luke wrote:
> btw, jon: yes there will be an SPI interface on the expansion-1
> header: again, LCDs connected to this will be outside of scope,
> because that's not part of EOMA.
>
> l.

People are starting to ask me about the connector and expansion headers
on the module and I'd like to clear a few things up.

Can we stop calling the PCMCIA connector the PCMCIA connector? It always
confuses the **** out of people since they assume it's 100% PCMCIA
compatible. We know what it is, they don't, and it's a waste of time to
keep on clearing up this issue. How about we call it the EOMA connector
or EOMA-64 connector or something similar? Same for the card. Its not a
PCMCIA card, it's a EOMA or EOMA-64 card. PCMCIA cards are something
with a completely different electrical standard.

Now on to the expansion header/s. The standard EOMA card will just have
the EOMA connector and a full metal jacket, if I am still up to date.
The side of the card opposite the EOMA connector could be used for
expansion headers, connectors, jacks, pictures of unicorns, or whatever.
If the connectors stick out past the edge of the metal jacket then it
won't fit into products designed for just the standard EOMA connector
and metal jacket. That's ok, since these non-standard EOMA cards with
expansion headers or connectors (whatever) will be used in other types
of custom products/motherboards. In fact expansion headers or connectors
could be placed anywhere on the board without regard for a metal jacket
at all if you wish. They just won't be standard EOMA cards but they will
use the standard EOMA connector.

Lets sort this out before I bring up a few more hardware issues.

-Bari