[Arm-netbook] motherboard negotiation

lkcl luke luke.leighton at gmail.com
Fri Jan 13 20:53:15 GMT 2012

On Fri, Jan 13, 2012 at 8:42 PM, jonsmirl at gmail.com <jonsmirl at gmail.com> wrote:

> There is no good solution to the LCD problem, they are simply way too
> many variations. I suspect that you'll end up with at most two or
> three different LCDs interfaced to the EOMA board.

 nope - no can do: inflexibility is failure.  failure is not an
option.  this project has to cope with 320x240 all the way up to
1900x1200.

 we'll start _off_ small, just to make it manageable (2 or 3 different
LCDs), but not dealing with this isn't an option.

> You also have to deal with the fact that different CPU LCD controllers
> have different capabilities. You may make a baseboard for an LCD that
> a future CPU does not have the ability to control.

 that would surprise me greatly.  *thinks*.... actually it wouldn't,
no you're right (forgot about a couple of cases)  i know for example
that the S5PV210 and S5PC110 can only cope with 1024x768 - if you try
to push them to 1388x768 (like hardkernel.com did) then not only do
you lose 2 pixels at either edge (because the internal memory buffer
is only 1mb) but the quality is pretty dreadful, too.

 under these circumstances we just have to say "Tough: Uncertified Combination".

> Plus what about touch?  4-wire, 5-wire, capacitive, etc...

 outside of scope of EOMA: i.e. not our problem [*1].  external I2C or
USB chipsets on motherboard, or even running entirely in software on
an STM32F or other embedded R/T CPU.

 l.

[*1] except in the case of expansion headers such as putting the
4-wire TS controller of the A10 onto expansion-1, and even then it's
_still_ not our problem because it's outside of the scope of EOMA.