[Arm-netbook] power consumption?

lkcl luke luke.leighton at gmail.com
Fri Jan 13 14:44:32 GMT 2012

On Fri, Jan 13, 2012 at 2:13 PM, Justin Cormack
<justin at specialbusservice.com> wrote:

> What do we think the power consumption for the A10 card is going to be
> approximately? I couldn't see anything, other than it needs to be under 5W
> as that is the max for the power connectors.

 it depends.

 for the mass-volume products it needs to be under 3.5W because that's
about the thermal passive limit when the case is on (including filling
it with thermal gel). the assumption is that there will be *no* fans
in *any* products.

 for the non-mass-volume products: without the case, the limit's 5W if
you use the 2 PCMCIA pins (0.5A max rating x 2).  if you use the
USB-OTG as well you get an extra 900mA potentially so in theory you
could go to 9.5W but that's entirely up to you if you choose to do
that.

 anyway, i'm just going over the power tree, right now, so i have all
the PDFs open.... adding up the max ratings from the EVB:

>>> 1.5+(1.25*1.6)+(1.2*1.2)
4.9399999999999995

 hmm, so it's pretty close.